Friday, January 13, 2012

Mahi Mahi with Blueberry Mango Salsa


Happy Friday! Here's the thing I love about Fridays: you always know when they're happening and you're always happy when they arrive (unless you're on vacation). Here's the thing I hate about Minnesota: cold and snow and the fact neither of these comes with fair warning OR appeal like Friday does. I kind of wondered what Minnesota was doing right to get 50 degree weather in January and then this lovely little cold front reminded me that we're not as special as we think. Needless to say, going from 50 to below zero with the windchill from one day to the next REALLY makes me miss Kauai where the temp waivers between a heavenly 75 and 80 and the beach starts right at the end of your driveway. Rain? No problem, just drive to the other side of the island or wait 20 minutes. Where do people from Kauai go on vacation? We asked while we were there and apparently they just crash the Mariott. Smart. SO smart. I wouldn't leave either.

Anyway, not only do I miss the weather and the scenery and the hiking, I miss the food. Fresh fruit and fresh fish and Hula Pie. Here the deal: Hula Pie is the most FANTASTICAL dessert I've ever eaten. EVER. So I don't even want to attempt it on my own. Why? Because it wouldn't be the same. Don't be fooled, this stuff isn't actually pie. It's like the most ultimate Dairy Queen cake on crack. Hula Pie doesn't really seem as appetizing in a snow drift as it does by the beach. Not even close. Plus, I need all the excuses I can get to go back. And that's one of them. Since I've vowed not to try Hula Pie, I tried out this Mahi Mahi recipe from the New Abs Diet Cookbook. Don't be scared about that whole "Diet" word in there, this stuff is delicious! Brought me right back to Kauai. Need a mini-vacation? Cook this up and then tell me about it. Here's how:


Mahi Mahi with Blueberry Mango Salsa
Adapted from The New Abs Diet Cookbook
Serves 4
Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup blueberries
  • 1/3 cup diced mango
  • 2 tablespoons minced red onion
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • ½ teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • fresh ground pepper, to taste
  • 4 mahi mahi fillets (4 ounces each)
Directions:
Mix the blueberries, mango, onion, pepper, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, sugar and sea salt in a bowl.  Set aside.
Lightly oil grill pan or fry pan and preheat it on medium high. Lightly season one side of the fish fillets with salt and pepper and place them, skin side down, on the hot grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over and sear for another 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through. Avoid overcooking. When done, the fish should flake easily with a gentle touch of a fork.

Top each piece of fish with the salsa and enjoy!


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment