Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Fresh Confetti Salsa

Guess what? After all the Christmas and New Year's craziness that just hit us, it's about be America's Most Important Holiday #3. NO, not Valentine's Day; the Superbowl, of course! If you are a Vikings fan like me, you're probably just really jazzed that it's finally the offseason. Even though I am fully-aware that the Vikes will probably never see a Superbowl in my lifetime, I'll watch it every year...mostly for the commercials because the game usually isn't anything too spectacular. I say "the game usually isn't anything too spectacular" half because it's true and half because I'm pouting that my team is NEVER playing. While I'm watching, my snack runs naturally take place during the boring part (the game) and then I run back to the couch in time for some Grade-A commercials with a little bowl of this.

It's quite a magical concoction. This recipe is kind of my baby...like one of those recipes that I kind of want to keep a secret for my whole life, but I won't because people should enjoy it. First off, it's going to look B-E-A-utiful with all the other awesome Superbowl snacks you've prepared because it's colorful (hence "confetti"). Second off, it's kind of a face-melter but you have the luxury of amping up the heat or cooling it down a little if you like. Third, it makes a Superbowl party-worthy sized batch, and your friends will be glad to help you eat it. And last (but certainly not least), you can give yourself a pat on the back for making a healthy snack choice...rather than a heaping plate full of greasy wings that slide right down your throat and make your hands, face, and probably your shirt a mess.

Are you having a Superbowl party? Please tell me about it! Also, tell me if you make this salsa!

Fresh Confetti Salsa
Ingredients:

  • 1 red onion, minced
  • 2 (10 oz) cans Rotel Diced Tomato & Green Chili Peppers, well-drained
  • 1 (15 oz) can corn kernels, well-drained
  • 1 (15 oz) can black beans, well-drained and rinsed
  • 1 c. fresh cilantro, finely chopped (I'm a little obsessed with cilantro so I usually just use the whole bundle that you get at the store, but a cup will do if you're not crazy about it.)
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
  • 2 red chili peppers, seeds removed
  • 1 habanero pepper, seeds removed (If you don't like as much heat, leave this guy out.)
  • 1 serrano pepper, seeds removed
  • 1/4 c. sugar (trust me)
  • 2 tbsp. garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
  • the juice of 1 freshly-squeezed lime
  • 1 tbsp. salt (add according to your taste preference- just keep in mind that your chips will be salty)

Directions:
Mix minced onion, Rotel, corn, black beans, tomatoes, and cilantro a large bowl. After removing the seeds from peppers, coarsely chop and place in food processor until finely-chopped (this saves you the trouble of burning your flesh trying to finely-chop them yourself- yay!). Combine peppers with vegetable mix, stirring well. In a small bowl, mix sugar, garlic powder and salt. Add dry ingredients and lime juice to vegetable mix and stir thoroughly. Store in refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Enjoy! Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. This looks delish Elizabeth! I think I know what I will be making for our SB party!!! Cause you know I will be watching my Pack win AGAIN! Heehee! I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks FABULOUS, Elizabeth! I can't wait to make it :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'll be trying this out soon!!! Thanks Elizabeth for sharing!

    ReplyDelete