Saturday, August 25, 2012

Cranberry Quinoa Scone Bites


I think my parents could probably attest to the fact that I was THEE pickiest eater when I was a kid. Actually, the pickiest eater until I went away to school and started cooking for myself, discovering everything I'd been missing out on.

I distinctly recall a few pretty extreme episodes where I was not allowed to leave the dining room table until my plate was clean. Doesn't seem that complicated until you factor in my stubbornness. I was pretty much willing to sit there until I died, staring at the heap of (fill in the blank with about anything other than pizza- with no veggies- or a PB&J).

Despite how delicious these little baby scone bites look and taste, I never would've touched them when I was a kid had I found out they had quinoa in them. Not because I had any reason to believe I wouldn't like quinoa, just because the name is odd. Quinoa (keen-wah) is not that scary. It's a super grain, is a great source of protein and fiber and has many other heath benefits. <- This is me giving you an excuse to have an extra one. Check out the ingredients list. You won't even have to feel bad!

Cranberry Quinoa Scone Bites

Makes 3 dozen | 20 minutes prep time
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c. arrowroot starch*
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 c. coconut oil, room temp
  • 2 tbsp. maple syrup
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 1/4 c. dark brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • 1 c. quinoa, prepared according to package directions
  • 1 1/4 c. old-fashioned oats
  • 1 c. dried cranberries, finely chopped
  • 1/2 c. shredded coconut
  • 1/2 c. chopped pecans

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375F.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder and baking soda.

Beat coconut oil, brown sugar, maple syrup and honey in a large bowl for about 3 minutes. Add eggs and almond extract. Beat for an additional 2 minutes. Beat in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time. Stir in quinoa, oats, cranberries, oats and pecans.

Using a cookie scoop, place dough onto parchment lined baking sheets an inch apart. 

Bake scone bites until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container. Enjoy!

*Can be substituted for an extra 1/2 c. whole wheat flour. I like the texture and flavor the arrowroot start gives these but a little extra flour works just dandy.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment